Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Indie Biz 101 - It's all in the brand

I did alot of research on branding yourself & your shop.
I just felt like ccy designs wasn't working for me.
I needed something that described who I was and what I made from the get go.
One of my bloggy bff's Skye & I texted back and forth with ideas.
I must say it was the fastest texting I've ever done in a short amount of time.

But it worked.
I asked her "What about the spontaneous designer?" because it had been bouncing around in my head.
She liked it & said this.
"Full of surprises and wonder. Cassie at the spontaneous designer is constantly coming up with creative items for her shop based on her daily inspiration; faith, family & fun!!"


Um yes!! 100% me. I am not only spontaneous with my shop.
I'm spontaneous with life, so it described me perfect.

Here are a few tips to help you figure out how to brand your business.

1. What are some descriptive words that describe you and what you make? Write them down & keep writing until you run out of words. Then go over them and see what things seem to stand out to you. Circle those, think on it and come back to them.

2. What do you make? This is important. We have to know what we are going to find in your shop. For instance the "designer" part tells you I design things. I design subway art, necklaces, crocheted items. They are all my design & therefor I am a designer as well as the maker. ;)

3. Who buys your items? Granted this can work and not work. I really don't know if an 80 year old woman or a 10 year old girl is going to wonder what in the world spontaneous designing is. But I know people my age will get it. They will get that I am a spontaneous person and that I am constantly coming up with new things for my shop.

4. Think about why you are selling your products. This may seem off track but think about it. Is it a hobby? Do you love what you do? Is it for charity? Is it for extra money? Hobbyin' it up. Love in a basket. Charitable creations. Money making mama. See what I did there? It works.

5. Ask a friend. Brainstorming and throwing ideas back and forth with a friend is almost guaranteed to work. Because you are both going to have different ideas and your friend is going to see your shop differently then you do, she is going to see it how other people see it. Even if you don't come up with a name together, I bet by the end of your conversation you will have one.

No comments:

Post a Comment