Let's be honest. I'm more inclined to buy something handmade when the description is detailed and catchy.
For instance, this to me is no fun and doesn't really catch my attention:
Pink heart necklace.
Sterling silver chain.
Ships in 2 days.
Okay awesome. You gave me what I wanted to know.
But sense it is handmade I want to know more.
I want to know why you made it. I did an etsy lab that talked about telling a story with your description.
That's a great idea if you can tell a story and one I highly agree with.
But maybe you don't have a story.
But you made it for a reason.
So tell us why. I pulled this straight from my shop.
"I designed this necklace because It is something I believe in. It also comes from my favorite scripture. "For we walk by faith, not by sight." 2 Corinthians 5.7
- This necklace has one metal disc with the words walk by faith stamped on it with a small cross in the corner.
- The chain is silver plated and is 18" long.
- The necklace will ship within 2-3 days after purchase has been made and payment has been received."
I told you why I designed it in the first place.
Then I gave you the details.
That's what I like to see. :)
So next time you are trying to figure out how to describe your items. Thinks about these five tips.
- Why did you design it? Did you make it for a dear friend, family member, loved one? Is it a favorite bible verse or you loved the way the fabrics blended together?
- Tell a story with it. Paint a picture of the item that just captures the buyer and makes them want to own that product.
- Be detailed. What kind of chain it is. Fabric. Yarn. What size it is. As a buyer I want to know these things.
- Let the buyer know how long it's going to take to ship. If i need something buy the end of the week and it takes 5 days to ship I need to know that before buying it.
- Name your product. Seriously - have fun with it. I actually need to change a few of these my self. For instance red rose ring doesn't sound near as cute as put a ring on it - rose style. and yes that is beyonce's song put a ring on it. hehe.
Simple as that.
And have fun with it.