Tuesday, July 3, 2012

What it takes to own an indie biz - Time


Time. We never have enough of it do we? We have to learn to balance our time between everything that we do. Especially when you are trying to run an indie biz because there is so much time that goes into it. I'm going to break it down for you because it took me awhile to grasp this and to set times for me to do everything that needed to get done.

Factor in the time it takes to make your products. This can take anywhere from 10 minutes to a couple of hours. I always try to work on shop items during the boys quiet time or when they are asleep at night because that is when I can focus best.

Taking pictures. I try to do this right after the product is made that way I don't forget to take the picture because yes I have done this before. If I can't do it right after I will do it the next morning when I can use some good sunlight.

Editing your pictures. I always edit my pictures. Cropping them to make them perfect. Watermarking them. Resizing them. Thankfully I can do this anytime of the day but it is another thing that does take awhile to do.

Listing your items & writing descriptions. This isn't too bad if you are only putting one or two products in the shop at that time, but if you have a good amount - this is going to take some time.

Promoting. Putting the word out about your shop or products or both. Takes time. Thank heavens for social media sites and smart phones. I can easily do this from my phone. But regardless - it is time that goes into it.

These are just a few things. This doesn't include the packaging it up. Running to the post office. To the store for more packaging supplies. So before you jump head long into it - remember all of this. Because you are going to be doing it all. ;)

1 comment:

  1. There's never enough time... I have the hardest time remembering to take packages to the post office. I think that's my biggest problem!

    Christen
    www.anunordinaryhello.com

    ReplyDelete